3:50 After a night of almost no sleep, Brent calls the hospital to make sure we are still good to be admitted at 5:00
4:30 We kiss Claire goodbye and leave her with Bama
6:30 After being at the hospital for well over an hour, I finally get my IV and they start pitocin,
7:45 Dr Garner comes to check on me and breaks my water, I have been having contractions, but now I can start feeling them
9:30 I ask for my epidural, Brent and I even talk about how much calmer this delivery is, than the rushing around going into labor with Claire at 3 in the morning.
10:00 I am feeling good, legs are heavy, contractions are still coming, but I couldn't tell.
10:30 I am feeling horrible, light headed, dizzy and nausea. Hope, my nurse, comes in to check, I think on me, but she was really checking on Gage. The next 30 minutes are a blurr. Hope readjusts the baby monitor around my stomach, but can't find a heart beat. More nurses come in, one gives me a shot to stop labor and tells me that Gage wasn't handling contractions well. At this point I am thinking, that's okay, they did that with Claire too. Then they put something in my IV because the arm cuff around my arm isn't picking up a blood pressure, a nurse puts an oxygen mask around my face and tilt the bed to put me on my head. At this point I am getting freaked out. I am still feeling pretty lousy and now I am scared that something has happened to Gage. With all the nurses around I can't see Brent and when I finally do, he looks worried, but reassures me that it is going to be okay. Dr Garner comes in (Brent says he was out of breathe) and tells Brent we are having the baby now. They rush me down the hall, take Brent to put on scrubs and . . . .
11:02 Gage is born
I never wanted to have a c-section, but I am so thankful that Hope and the other nurses were there and that Dr Garner acted so quickly. Most of all we were praying for a healthy baby and no matter how he got here, we are thankful.
I have mentioned my "friend" Kerry on here before. SHe writes the blog sixuntilme.com and is also a type 1 and pregnant. She had a scheduled c-section. She wrote about it on her blog and I couldn't help but notice the differences. Her husband scrubbed up before coming in, Brent barely had time to get the protective clothes on. Her whole surgery took an hour, mine even with getting my tubes tied took less than 30 minutes. She wrote about how they were constantly checking her blood sugars, I don't think any of the nurses even thought about my blood sugars until I was back in the room recovering. Our experinces were so different, but we both went home with heathly babies!
Recovering from a c-section is much more difficult than a vaginal birth. The extra day in the hospital wasn't any fun either. Plus, after I had Claire the nurses pretty much left me alone while recovering. However, after surgery, they come and check constantly and make getting any sleep very difficult. Last time too, I knew there were nurses that I liked better than others, but it was no big deal really. This time, there was a big difference. All the nurses I had were nice and personable, but one of them really hurt me. Like tears running down my face can't catch my breathe hurting, doing the same checking on me that the other nurses had been doing. I was also surprised at how little all of the nurses knew about managing diabetes using a carb ratio. I guess most mothers they see have gestational diabetes and just use a sliding scale. Plus no one told me that the pain medication they were giving me has the common side effect of causing low blood sugars. I found that out today, after doing my own research as to why I have been fighting blood sugars in the 40s for the last week.
We are home, adjusting to being a family of four. My mom was here for the remainder of the week, after Brent went back to work. I am going to miss her on Monday when she and Brent are at work and it is just me, Claire and Gage.
I have started a new blog 1boy1girl2hearts.blogspot.com where I am posting pictures. It is by invitation only, but if you are reading this and would like to "be invited" please just let me know. You can email me, send me a message on facebook, a text or even call. I have just invited family as of now, I didn't want to pester friends and co-workers with photos of my kids.
Living with the Libre – 10 months on
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment