Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Percy Jackson vs Harry Potter

I know these are a kids' series. I read the Harry Potter books as they came out, waiting for each one to arrive in the mail. Then being annoyed at the movies and refusing to even go see the last 2. Percy Jakcon, I didn't even know about until they came out with the movie. Yes, I have discussed both books with kids at school and my 5thg rade neice. However, a good book is a good book no matter who the intended audience is and if you enjoy fanatsy like I do, then you will enjoy these books.

One of the things on my "to do" before the baby comes list was to read and I have been. Not all of it good, but these were. The only thing that kept me from probably enjoying them more is how little I know about Greek mythology. This fact thought, did not keep me from being able to follow the story.

I immediately compared to the Harry Potter books. In both series the male main character is different, someone down, who doesn't fit in, who discovers his true identitity. Harry Potter found out he is a wizard, Percy Jackson learns he is half Greek god or a Greek hero. Harry Potter was sent to a special wizard school, Percy Jackson a hero camp. Both characters have bullies, a cousin or a step father, and a nemisis in their world, Draco at Hogwarts and Clarice at camp half blood. At their homes away from home, Harry is put in a house based on character, Percy a cabin based on lineage, which also influences character. Harry fights an evil wizard who everyone thought was dead who divided his soul into pieces in order to escape death, Percy an evil titan who was chopped up into pieces and thrown into a pit, but puts himself back together. Even the character traits of these 2 heroes are the same, loyalty and courage. Unlike Harry Potter though the Percy Jackson books move fast. There isn't as much background building. Even the supporting characters are similar, but we don't get to know the bookish female supporting character Annabeth like we do Hermione or the goofy best friend character, Grover, like we do Ron. The writing style is very different and I liked that. Don't get my wrong, I LOVED the Harry Potter books, and there are those who would accuse the writer of the Percy Jackson books of stealing, but I appreciate the Percy Jackson books also. Starting with The Lightening Thief, from the first chapter it is action! A big difference that made Percy Jackson like-able to me, he is American and so is his setting. I am not an American who thinks the world revolves around me, or that only good things come from the USA. Harry Potter though is set in England, where I have never been, (but I want to) and many of the references where therefore foreign. Also, from a teachers point of view, reading a book with an unknown setting can be great to stretch readers. But for reading just for the love of reading, I loved being able to have a frame of reference when it talked about San Francisco, St. Louis and New York.

So very similar, yet so different, both series are recommended. Harry Potter will take you a month to read, Percy Jackson a week. And in a fight I think Harry Potter and his wand could take Percy Jackson and his magic sword.

No comments:

Post a Comment

background