Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Good to Know

I have been reading quite a few new diabetes blogs this week and am particularly glad I have for two reasons.


The first is to hear other people's struggle. I don't want other people to be going through hard times, but sometimes I feel like I am the only one who doesn't have this all figured out. It seems like this whole insulin versus carbs thing shouldn't be hard, just an easy math problem, right? WRONG! I have been on insulin now for 4 1/2 years. I feel like I should be in constant control or at least know the reason behind when I am high. Yet there are still times when I test and it is above 200 and I am caught off guard. I have no explanation. Lately, I have been especially confused about my fasting levels. For a good my morning sugar levels were below 90, which is good. But then the last two weeks, although I have been eating the same and all that, my morning level has been 120 or higher. I go to the doctor on Tuesday and will be sure to bring this up. It is just emotionally tiring to be fighting an unseen enemy that doesn't play by the rules.


The second reason I enjoy reading other diabetic's blogs to hear that I am normal. I have blogged about how I am almost a roller-coaster diabetic. I have worked hard at being in control and then spurts of denial. I have been on a diabetic high lately, keeping up with it all for now. I guess I like hearing that people who have diabetes, type 1 and 2, on pumps and off are on the same ride. That doesn't make it right, but it is good to know that from people who live it, it is understandable.



I have never had to "fight" alone. I have a great support system of family, friends and medical professionals. Even with all these people on my side, it really does keep me motivated to know that there are others out there on the front line.

No comments:

Post a Comment

background