Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Growing Up Again

You should be impressed, I actually read an entire book and didn't even fall asleep after every page or two. That in itself is saying something positive for Mary Tyler Moore's book. I have to say overall I did like it. It was very easy to read and enjoyable, but also disappointing.

This was a book I heard about and really wanted to read. It has been a long time since I have wanted to go out and buy a book. Then, surprise, my dad bought the book for me. He had seen MTM on The Late Show and thought I needed to read it too. I read the preface and was so excited because it talked about a teenage girl who is diabetic and who is looking for someone to relate to, someone who knows what it is like to deal with it everyday, all day. I was hooked because I would love to have a diabetic friend too. My disappointment is that, really MTM and I aren't soul mates. She was 30ish when diagnosed, I was 19, she is now almost 70 I think and I am only 32. Her book was more about growing up, becoming independent and dealing emotional issues caused by her father, her career and her three marriages. I don't struggle with those kind of things. The things that she did talk about concerning diabetes were the long term side effects of eye disease, nerve damage, etc. Thankfully I am not dealing with those yet either. She kept saying things like, " . . until I really dealt with my diabetes emotionally," but then never described what that meant or how she "dealt with it." I was looking for a book that was mostly about the annoyance of shots, the scares of being really low and even the confusion sometimes present when levels are unexplainedly high and that's not what I got. I think the subtitle, "Life, Love and Oh Yeah Diabetes" it a great one, because it lists diabetes last and that is really where it falls, but the advertising and her appearance on The Late Show made it seem otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

background