Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Baker, Crafter, Photographer, Author?

I have decided to try to write a book. I have wanted to write a children's book, but never had an idea to get started. Then just recently I got an idea! It started with Claire. She has been super curious and trying to watch while I test my blood and do my injections before we eat. I usually go into our laundry room to test and shoot up, that way I am not by the food and where we eat, but I am not totally inconvenienced. Since Claire has been so interested lately, I started looking for a book to read to her that would kind of lay things out. I talk to her about what I am doing, how I am fine and even though there is blood and a needle that it doesn't hurt. I just thought a book would be a great way for her to relate to what she sees me do. But I couldn't find a book. I looked at my school libraries, my city library and on line at Amazon and Barnes and Noble. I found books for parents who have young kids with diabetes, I found book for kids of all ages who are diabetic, but not one for young kids who have a parent who is diabetic. It was while I was still hunting that I read my friend Gayla's blog, you can read it too, look on the side bar for "the Cockrells." Anyway, Gayla has also decided to start writing a book. She is a very good writer and brave/ambitious enough to start a novel. I am uber impressed, but it made me think. I have always wanted to write, I need a book, it isn't out there to be found, maybe other people are looking for a book about this too, maybe I should write a book.

So there you have it. I am going to write a picture book for young children who have parents who are diabetics. I am working on a rough draft now and hope to have it ready to be edited by a few family and friends by next week. Since my target audience is 3-5 year olds, I need to stick to under 500 words, I don't think a week is rushing it. Plus, I already know what I want to say. It is the same thing I have said to Claire for weeks about testing and shots and reassuring her that I am okay.

I am already anxious about the process of submitting it to publishers. I don't like rejection and I suspect I will hear a lot of rejection letters from publishers. But first things first, I gotta get it down on paper!

2 comments:

  1. Aww, hehe! Yes to writing the book! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a great idea! You should send it to JDRF when you finish it - maybe they can help you get it published! Good luck - and congrats your little bun in the oven!

    ReplyDelete

background